The call

Thursday 31 May 2018
Clara just got the call that everyone expects to get one day, but for which no one is ever truly prepared.
Her mother has been taken ill.
An ambulance has been called.
It is serious.
They cannot resuscitate her.
She has passed away.
Clara rushes home.
In turn I receive text messages then the call from Clara. I am meeting some senior clients but I can barely speak to them. 
"Sorry, my mother-in-law has just died and I need to be with my wife.”  I stutter the words and make my way apologetically to the exit. The walk out of the building passes in a blur.
Normally the death of a relative does not upset me too much, but this time I feel a surge of emotion as I travel home on the tube. My first thoughts are of empathy with Clara. How can I best support her through the turmoil that will follow over the coming days?
But I also feel a strong connection with the deceased woman with whom I never had much of a relationship when she was alive. The invisible bond we shared because of our incurable neurodegenerative diseases, has been abruptly severed. Although her advanced Alzheimer’s was far worse than my Parkinson’s is ever likely to be, I feel I have just lost a kindred spirit.
I briefly indulge in egocentricity. In my mind’s eye I peer through a long narrow tunnel and catch a fleeting glimpse of my own end – still distant, but for an instant sharply in focus. An ambulance outside the house, family gathering, tears and shock, a corpse that was once me. A lump of flesh that was only minutes earlier flesh-and-blood, embodying a lifetime of human experience, creativity and accomplishment. A lifetime of laughter and love, dreams and desires, hopes and happiness. 
Life is made up of highs and lows interspersed with many long stretches of mundanity. Just occasionally it is punctuated by dramatic days like today.
My eyes are moistening and I have a shell-shocked face as I sit on the tube. I look up and notice a heavily pregnant woman observing my emotional response. I can sense her wondering what has just happened. She will soon bring a new life into the world as I race home to witness the aftermath of the end of a life.
Light and dark, sickness and health, joy and despair, life and death.
All opposites. But like two sides of the same coin, never far apart.

Popular posts