The network

Saturday 22 April 2017

This morning I met up with a group of complete strangers who all have two things in common: they suffer from Parkinson’s and they are under 60.

There are many Parkinson’s networks and numerous events across the country but these are mostly aimed at elderly people and tend to meet mid-week.  The group I went to see at a cafĂ© in central London was for younger sufferers, many of whom still work and therefore can only hook up at weekends. 

The first people were about 20 minutes late whereas I was on time so I had some embarrassing moments wandering round asking people if their name was Anne, the organiser of the group.  At one point I even befriended a group of 50-something women who seemed to be old friends, and sipped my coffee with them whilst keeping an eye out.

When the group did start to congregate, somehow it was obvious who they were and I went over and introduced myself.  Aside from more overt signs of unusual movement that I saw in some of the later arrivals, there is a look that Parkinson’s people seem to have.  I think it’s a facial expression that somehow lacks emotion.

In all I stayed for nearly three hours and chatted to perhaps a dozen people.  It was both an uplifting and depressing experience. 

There were standard questions that were both posed and answered.  When were you diagnosed? What were your symptoms? How long did you have symptoms before you were diagnosed? What medication are you on? 

I asked lots more questions too.  How does your husband/wife deal with it?  Do you have any advice for someone recently diagnosed?  How has your disease progressed?  Which hospital do you go to?

I learnt a lot and many people made the point that they get more advice from sharing experiences than from visiting their neurologists every six months who do little more than fiddle with their prescriptions.

It was a diverse group: male and female, thirties to fifties, black and white, employed and unemployed, parents and childless, gregarious and reserved, posh and working class.  Parkinson’s doesn’t discriminate. 

There were some very positive aspects.  There were two women who were five or six years in who looked very well and were leading pretty full lives.  I’ll be happy if I’m like that in five years’ time, I thought. There were a couple of friendly men on my wavelength living not far away from me so we swapped contact details and made a tentative agreement to meet up for a drink in May.

But overall it was depressing.  For the moment I feel pretty good on my drugs, but there were people only a few years ahead of me who seemed to have much more severe symptoms, who were no longer working and who appeared to be struggling to cope.  And there were a couple of older men who, if I am honest, looked pallid and dishevelled.  The other thing I gathered was that even those who were doing well suffered from fatigue most days and often needed afternoon naps. 

For me personally perhaps the biggest challenge about Parkinson’s is the varied progression and not knowing how it will develop.  As someone who likes to plan and be in control I find this difficult.  I heard stories about changes of medication and cocktails of drugs to keep up with the inevitable advancement of the disease, but each one different.   

Will I be as sharp as a razor and still looking great in ten years’ time or unable to work in a year's time?  There is simply no way of knowing. 

Popular posts