Hiking in the Rockies

Wednesday 29 August 2018

My first proper experience of the wholesome delights of rock, grass and earth under boot was in the Yorkshire Dales when I went on a school hiking trip for a week, aged 15. 

I was fit and strong in my youth. On the longest day of the trip I was able to carry a full pack for 19 miles. And not just any 19 miles. That day we took in two of the famous Three Peaks, Pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough, and it was pretty muddy under foot too as I recall.

Since that first taster of the great outdoors, I have been fortunate enough to immerse myself in some of the classic walks that Britain has to offer: from the dramatic vista on the precarious Striding Edge leading up to Helvellyn in the Lake District, to the sight of wild ponies grazing by the side of the Pembrokeshire coastal path, to the ancient and gentle sweeping curves of the Scottish interior. 

I enjoy the physical challenge, but most of all I revel in the view from the top of mountain or Munro, the reward for all the hard work.  Slightly annoying then, that I’ve been to the top of Snowdon six times and it’s been cloudy at the summit every time. But then again, disappointments make the victories even sweeter to savour.

Hiking can be an enjoyable solo pursuit, in which case one gets close to nature and to one’s own essence. But it is also a great way to bring people together. A long walk is an opportunity to share memories and ideas, to build a bond through a common experience. Or simply to enjoy being with a friend or loved one. And it’s healthy too.  

I’ve also hiked in a number of places around the world. One of my favourite areas to enjoy pitting foot against land is the Canadian Rockies. 

I have some good friends who emigrated here a about a decade ago and I have been to visit them several times. They are living their dream in a beautiful house surrounded by pine clad mountains and big skies, acres of land for their two boys to enjoy, but within walking distance of the local resort town with all its Canadian amenities and friendly smiles.

I am here again, this time with Clara, currently in scenic Banff for a few days before driving through more epic scenery to see my friends.

Now that I have Parkinson’s, I can still enjoy a hike, but my right leg and foot are uncomfortable after a couple of hours, and I struggle with my overall level of fitness, so short walks are the order of the day. Similarly, I can no longer drive safely for much more than an hour at a time, so long road trips are out of the question, and in this part of the world I have to plan ahead and break up the time behind the wheel into manageable chunks. 

I hope to return to the Canadian Rockies again but it is difficult to predict how things may progress and I may not be able to. So I endeavour to enjoy my time here - not by trying to rush around and do everything, but by doing a few things slowly and absorbing nature’s spectacle along the way. 

Clara and I go for a walk through evergreen woods with occasional glimpses of huge and dramatic limestone buttresses, and the higher peaks dusted with fresh white powder from the overnight snowfall.

As I feel the crunch of pine needles and twigs through my hiking boots, I reminisce about that childhood experience in the Yorkshire Dales. Thousands of miles and a generation away. A different hike on altogether different terrain. But still the same feelings of effort and reward. And of respect and admiration for the natural world.







Popular posts