Reflecting on 2017

Sunday 31 December 2017

It is tempting for me to think of 2017 as a tale of three “ologies”: neurology, ophthalmology and cardiology.

My year was dominated firstly by my Parkinson’s diagnosis, the associated medication and the subsequent journey of discovery; secondly by my double vision problems and the eye surgery I had to fix them; and thirdly by my heart issues in the autumn. I won’t repeat it all here, except to say that happily, two out of these three things have been successfully resolved although of course I still have a long journey ahead with the Parkinson’s.

In spite of all the medical concerns, the year has had many positives. We went on a lovely summer holiday to the US to see the total solar eclipse and had a series of enjoyable short trips: to Paris, to Barcelona, to Stockholm, to Malta, to Venice and, most recently, to Norway (I am writing this from the most northerly point in Europe aboard the Hurtigruten; fingers crossed for a Northern Light show tonight to end the year on a high...).

I got promoted at work. Clara’s parents moved across the road from us. Rosa turned thirteen and, far from being a difficult teen, is growing into a delightful, intelligent and happy young woman.

I also started writing this blog.

At the beginning of the year, seemingly out of nowhere, I felt the urge to start putting miscellaneous thoughts down on paper. Shortly after I started writing, I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s which gave me a natural topic for contemplation.

It was Clara who suggested putting my writings into a blog to share with family and friends, which I started doing a couple of months later. Needless to say, Clara’s support through the year has been boundless.

I still don’t really know what the objective of this blog is, but early on I decided to let two principles guide me: to make the posts relevant (however tenuously) to Parkinson’s Disease; and to avoid simply writing a mundane diary about all the day to day stuff. I have also realised that, because people may find my blog through a search engine and therefore dip in and out, within reason each post needs to stand on its own.

I only studied English at school until the age of 15; after that it was sciences all the way. My previous writing experience is limited to penning a series of short stories about cats for Rosa when she was eight.

You won’t find this blog sprinkled with thought-provoking literary references or enriched with emotive quotations from philosophers or poets. Honestly, I don’t know any. Much to Clara’s embarrassment, I have only read perhaps a few dozen novels in my life and barely any poetry. Instead I live in a world of business, science, technology and mathematics. My mind operates in the realm of facts and objective analysis. At work I write emails, proposals and reports; I build spreadsheets and PowerPoint slides. There is little scope for flowery prose.

So publishing this blog has been a learning experience for me, and at times perhaps a self-indulgent one. It took me a few posts to find my voice. I don’t suppose it is a voice that is to everyone’s taste. But it is my voice, and it speaks unadulterated.

As I introspect, I also begin to appreciate how fascinating the process of writing is.

First an idea will come out of the blue, typically in response to a recent event. Occasionally I have written in real-time as events unfolded, but more normally I stew over the idea for a day or two: I think it through on the way to work or when I am making a cup of tea for example. Then I write the post quickly and in a single sitting. Most of the time the words seem to have a mind of their own and simply flow naturally. Finally, there is the process of editing to improve the language and eradicate as many errors as possible. As well as posting online, I periodically print and send the posts to my mother who seems to enjoy reading them.

I find it surprising quite how many words I have produced in a year. Perhaps 30,000, halfway to a book. There is no timetable and the story very much writes itself. I don’t know how the story is going to end or whether at some point I will simply run out of things to say. But I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience so far and hope that, whilst I am far from a great writer, in some small way I have given a few people something interesting to read.

And so, I will finish the year by saying that, medical woes aside, there was one very unexpected outcome of 2017. I discovered the pleasures of writing and acquainted myself with an altogether different “ology”.

Orthology: “the art of correct grammar and correct use of words.”

I am looking forward to continuing to post next year. In the meantime, I wish whoever is reading this, whatever your story and wherever you are, a very happy – and healthy – 2018!

Addendum: shortly before midnight

Virtually all of the passengers and much of the crew of the Hurtigruten are out on the back deck. The joy and excitement are palpable as, wide-eyed, they stare upwards to witness one of nature's most sublime spectacles.

High above us, waves of charged particles that have travelled 150 million kilometres from the sun are being funnelled by the Earth’s magnetic field towards the North Pole. Occasionally one of the particles smashes into an oxygen atom in the atmosphere and excites its electrons. The oxygen glows green as it releases its energy.

Ethereal and majestic, the Northern Lights dance in the night overhead, creating an endless variety of forms and contortions.

Surely a good omen for 2018?




Popular posts