Heart failure, part 3

Sunday 13 May 2018

Very occasionally I think about dying.

Most recently this happened on a long day trip to visit a client in Birmingham.

You see, I still get the odd heart palpitation or pressure in my chest following the cardiac episode I had last year (see previous posts: heart failure, heart failure 2, living and dying and Professor P).

Although I had all the tests and my arteries and heart were shown to be squeaky clean, when I get uncomfortable feelings in my ticker that fluctuate for a few hours, it’s hard to completely ignore them. The chest tightness sometimes comes on when I haven’t slept well and I’m tired, and I quite often feel tired when I’m travelling.

Unsurprisingly there were no such symptoms when I was on a relaxing beach holiday a few weeks ago. But, since returning to a five-day week, work has been full on, and I’m even more tired than usual as a result.

I recall the comforting words of the cardiologist who told me I can safely ignore the weird feelings emanating from my chest, and I try not to worry about them too much. The Professor seemed very relaxed about it too when I last saw him.

But once in a while a tiny gremlin pops up on my shoulder: what if there is something wrong with my heart and one day I simply keel over? I reason that the cumulative fatigue over the last couple of years may manifest itself by putting pressure on my heart, perhaps exacerbated by the side effects of my Parkinson’s drugs.

I check my Will to make sure it reflects my wishes. There are a few tweaks I could make to it and I think about documenting where some of my chattels should go, but it is essentially in order and I trust that Clara, probably the most sensible and decent person I know, will do the right things with my estate.

I also now carry a business card on me wherever I go, with details of my medication and Clara’s phone number on the back.

Am I being melodramatic?

Perhaps. The strange feelings in my heart don't occur very frequently and most of the time I successfully disregard them and crack on with whatever I am doing. I think the probability of me actually dying in the next few years with a heart problem remains very low.

But as I sit writing this, I feel as if there is a butterfly gently stretching its wings inside my ribcage. And, as in chaos theory, a butterfly can, very rarely, end up triggering a hurricane.

Best to be prepared.

Just in case.

Popular posts