Famous for five minutes

Saturday 4 August 2018

Off the back of the diversity panel event I participated in a few weeks back, I was asked if I would mind contributing a short article showcasing my story. My company was keen to promote flexible working as part of a recruitment drive. Glossing over the fact that my recent reduced hours arrangement hadn’t actually been particularly successful, I was happy to help.

I was asked to approve a brief piece of text:

Steph has early-onset Parkinson’s disease and works from home one day a week in addition to a temporary reduced hours arrangement. Though medication helps control the symptoms, it can be tiring. Initially, he found stepping out of social gatherings a bit awkward, but his team really supported him. Avoiding an hour-long commute and having extra time to rest midweek has also had a surprising effect on his energy levels throughout the rest of the week. He has a demanding job, but with careful management and a little flexibility, he can work effectively despite his health condition. 

“When in doubt, speak to your manager and, if appropriate, your HR team about your situation – you’ll be surprised how accommodating businesses can be!”

I thought nothing more of it for a couple of weeks.

And then one morning I checked my emails on the way to work. The first one was from a colleague in Amsterdam.

“Just came across the LinkedIn update in which you were featured. Wanted to say I never knew and am very impressed by your openness – a great example and role model. Wishing you all the best!”

And there were several others. I quickly looked at my firm’s LinkedIn page. 

There I was, pictured on Broadstairs beach in my sunglasses with my story, 30 comments and just shy of 1,000 likes.

The comments were from random people from all over the world:

Proud to work for a company that walks the walk!

Really brilliant to see companies supporting employees just when they need it most. as it should be.

100% true, living proof here! This firm really cares about people, both employees and clients, the entire firm lives by its values.

Nice to see great companies supporting their people, keep it up!

I’m so proud of what a Firm I’ve just joined is capable of. My father had Parkinson so I can definitely relate to this.

I wish you all the best, you are lucky to have such understanding support from your firm, keep up the good work.

And so on.

There was only one slightly misguided comment, from a young woman in Dubai:

He's lucky, but everyone is not

I’m not sure that having an incurable neurodegenerative disease counts as lucky but I think I see what she means.

Of course, it would have been nice to have been forewarned that my innocuous article was actually going to be published on my firm’s global LinkedIn feed, but it was now too late to question … my condition had overnight become very public with all my work colleagues, clients, and several million other people.

Although I was initially taken aback, the cat was now well and truly out of the bag so there was no point in doing anything other than embrace the moment. I chatted to a few people about it in the office and in a small way did something to raise awareness about people living with Parkinson’s.

After 24 hours the number of likes reached about 1,300 and there were a few more comments, but activity pretty much stopped after that. Such is the nature of our digital world that a story more than a few minutes old is already yesterday’s news.

So, I was famous for five minutes, but hopefully in a good way.

Popular posts