Flexible working revisited


Saturday 15 September 2018

I’ve discovered the secret of keeping my Parkinson’s under control…

It’s to be on holiday all the time and not work.

In all seriousness, when I take a holiday of a week or more, the main problem, which is the constant fatigue, starts to abate. With this, the various other symptoms like my softening voice or tremor, start to ease as well.

In short, working makes everything worse.
  
Unfortunately, I still have a few more years to go on the mortgage and, even with my reduced life expectancy, the pension pot still looks too small, but I do earn enough to consider working part time.

At the start of the year I tried a 90% (4.5 day) working week for a trial three-month period. Unfortunately, the trial didn’t really work.  I was effectively still working full time anyway, spending my weekends catching up for what I didn’t do on Friday afternoons, but not getting paid for it. So, six months ago I reverted back to full time.

Since then my Parkinson’s has progressed a little further and I simply can’t cope with working full time any longer. From next month onwards, I have agreed with my employer to again revert to a 90% working week. But this time there’s no going back and I see this as a transition to an 80% (four day) working week starting in the new year. 

Second time around, I need to make the arrangement work. Because I work for a Professional Services firm, I’m not paid by the hour so it’s not a simple case of reducing the time I show up in the office. Rather, I’ve discussed with my boss adjusting my overall responsibilities to take on fewer clients and have a proportionally lower sales target.

It will take discipline to do this. I will have to say no more often, delegate ruthlessly, and perhaps hardest of all, see my peers (and in due course people who are today my subordinates) progress ahead of me. Maybe I can still rise further to the top echelons of my firm, but it seems unlikely.

When riding on the Parkinson’s bus you only get a one-way ticket. In a work context, it would be a miracle if I could do anything other than follow suit. 

But I see this in a positive light as well: working less will hopefully give me more opportunity to exercise, spend time with my family and bring some enjoyment back to daily life – something that has been lacking for the past couple of years as I undergo a desperate struggle each week to make it through to Friday evening.

It’s time to start taking control.

Popular posts