Brexit

Friday 22 February 2019

Customs Union. Backstop. Norway model. Switzerland model. Canada model. Norway-plus. Ukraine Style. Turkey option. ERG. No deal.

What does it all mean?

I don’t really know and, like many people, I don’t really care.

The triggering of “Article 50” two years ago, setting in motion the UK’s divorce from the European Union, roughly coincided with my diagnosis of Parkinson’s. My mind was, understandably, preoccupied with things other than politics at that time.

But curiously I’ve lived in something of a news vacuum ever since.

Clara often says to me, “did you hear about blah blah blah today?” and I respond with a blank look. Sometimes I listen to the radio in the mornings but I zone out of most of it, don’t read the papers and don’t check much news online, other than business-related stuff that I need to know for work. The time I would have spent taking in the daily news is now diverted to reading research papers, posting on forums and writing this blog.

Having my condition means that current affairs, yesterday’s football results and who got voted off Strictly don’t actually matter any longer.

Except that they do matter.

Having an awareness of what’s going on in the Six Nations rugby, or the Champion’s League, or Love Island is something to talk about at work the next day. These are shared experiences that, however transient, bind us together.

To chat about stuff, to gossip, to have an opinion on the trivia du jour is to be human. And, in this, I have lost my way over the past two years.

I suspect Brexit will rumble on for a while yet. Which gives me plenty of opportunity to re-engage in the daily chat. Along with Formula 1, the latest Netflix originals, and the big cat stories that Clara sometimes emails to me. And perhaps these things will give me an edge in the long psychological battle with Parkinson’s Disease…



Popular posts