Living in an odourless world

Sunday 11 February 2017

About a month ago I lost my sense of smell.

Of course, this is one of the classic early symptoms of Parkinson’s.

I can no longer smell flowers in the house and will no longer be able to enjoy the aroma of spring.  When I hug Clara after coming home from work I am no longer greeted by the pleasant scent of her perfume (j’adore).   I can no longer detect the smell of chicken roasting in the oven.  Or of bacon sizzling in the frying pan.  Or Marmite on toast.  Or fresh fruit.  Or a glass of wine.  There is no point in buying expensive scented candles.

There are more prosaic consequences too.  I can’t tell when the milk is off – in fact this morning I put milk in my tea that was two days past its sell by date without realising.  It seemed to taste fine but I can’t be sure.  I can’t tell if I have BO and I can’t smell the deodorant I put on in the mornings. And I won’t be able to tell if the gas is leaking.

There are some advantages: work colleagues with bad breath, smelly public toilets, emptying the bins?  Not a problem.

I imagine olfaction is one of the more primitive functions in the brain, but also one of the first to be let go when the brain is starved of the dopamine it needs to function: something to discuss with the professor perhaps.  I am still waiting for an appointment time to come through before I start my medication.

More difficult to deal with than the loss of olfaction are some of the other early symptoms of the disease.  Every night I wake up after every sleep cycle: typically at midnight, at 2am, 3am, 4am and so on.  Often I am uncomfortable with constipation in the night despite eating a healthy diet with the occasional dose of mild laxative.  It’s a particular type of constipation (I think it’s called gastroparesis) where the waste seems to sit in the middle of my lower intestine and not move – because my brain is not sending messages to the muscles in my gut.  The upshot of all this is frequently being exhausted at work due to lack of sleep.  It reminds me of the sleep deprivation with a new born baby, though thankfully I get to catch up at the weekends.

Then there are the subtle motor problems with my right hand and arm: difficulty writing on whiteboards at work; fastening buttons; a stiff shoulder that makes it too uncomfortable to sleep on my right-hand side.

The good news is that many of these symptoms are due to abate when I start the medication.

But Dr T told me that my sense of smell is now lost forever.

Popular posts