The cat

Friday 31 March 2017

Clara has a black and white cat called Tolstoy.
There’s no getting around it – that’s a very pretentious name.
Actually, I vacillate between calling Tolstoy Clara’s cat and calling him our cat.  You see I have a love/hate relationship with the cat.
Some days I love his cute furry face and his little white paws and his crooked white whiskers.  And the warmth of his cuddly body asleep on the sofa. And the way he comes running when I shout “chicken” (though I may have cried wolf too many times on that one as he seems less enthusiastic these days).
But other times I find him irritating.  A pointless, stupid automaton, whose raison d'être is eating.  An expensive luxury running up food bills, and vet bills after getting into fights.  A cat that seemingly does its business in its own back garden, creating a sticky hazard when I clear up the autumn leaves.  And an apparently endless generator of black hair around the house that I have to vacuum and wipe away.
As well as being generally cute, the cat serves another purpose: there is always something to talk about, both with one another and with feline loving friends.  Dozens of “how’s Tolstoy?” conversations and hundreds of “how is the boy?” text messages.  Gigabytes of mindless photos of “the cat” and associated Facebook posts.
Tolstoy also keeps us company at mealtimes.
When chatting in the kitchen over dinner a few days ago, Tolstoy was sitting patiently by the table as the conversation moved to whether Clara would look after me in years to come when my Parkinson's symptoms get bad.
“Of course,” she said. “I’ll always take care of you.”
Clara and I got married in Italy, in the town hall in Florence, in an intimate ceremony attended by just a few friends.  Despite the presence of a so-called translator I didn’t understand much of what was going on, though I gathered the wedding vows were very practical in nature, all about setting up a house together and so on.  But the words were largely irrelevant as we both knew that what we were really thinking was “for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health….”
“…. As long as I can always have a cat,” Clara added, flashing a loving smile at the boy waiting patiently for treats.
I grinned broadly.
That seemed, literally, like the deal of a lifetime.  I silently thanked my lucky stars for having such a wonderful wife.
“OK. You can always have a cat,” I confirmed.


Popular posts