Cleared to drive

Wednesday 24 May 2017

Breaking news – the DVLA have cleared me to drive again. 

But there’s a catch.  I have to return my licence within 14 days and have it replaced with a “medical review licence”.    

This is valid for three years, after which presumably I have to go through the whole process again of having my medical records checked and my consultant, er, consulted, in order to continue driving.  And of course, if something happens that impacts my ability to stay safe on the roads before three years are up, I am obliged to declare it.

After three years, I may be allowed to drive for another year, two years or three years, or no years at all.  So I probably need to get any driving holidays out of the way whilst I still can.  I am no longer allowed to drive a lorry or a minibus but I can certainly live with that. 

The letter from the DVLA included some information about driving with one eye: “….it may take 3 months or more for you to adapt to driving with one eye.  In particular your ability to judge distances may be affected…” and so on.

So, watch out South London, this bank holiday weekend, for the one-eyed wonder in his Honda Civic!

Popular posts