Drug dependency

Thursday 18 May 2017

I forgot to take my medication this morning.
I got up only five minutes late and in my rush to get ready for work I forgot to pop my little white pill.  I realised mid-morning in the office, half way into a two and half hour workshop, when I started to feel light headed.

I continued to feel a bit “out of it” most of the day then, at around 4pm decided it was time to go home to take my meds.  I feel better now though I am having a lot of difficulty typing this text; but I think that problem will subside quickly enough.

The reason this matters is because coming abruptly off a dopamine agonist can have serious effects including anxiety, panic attacks, depression and low blood pressure.  In other words, I’m probably addicted to my medicine.  There’s even an acronym for it: DAWS (Dopamine Agonist Withdrawal Syndrome). 

I resolve to be more careful in future: I will set a reminder on my phone and I will carry some spare tablets in my work bag.  I have enough to deal with already without a dose of DAWS.

Popular posts