Professor P

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Professor P, the cardiologist, was jolly from the outset, enthusiastically shaking my hand and asking me how I had been as we walked to his consultation room.

I took this as a positive sign and, sure enough, he confirmed that my cardiac MRI showed that there were no problems at all with my heart. This reinforced the results from the X-rays, the ultrasound and the angiogram.

So the only possible explanation for my recent heart issues is the Parkinson's medication. I had reduced this a few weeks back and the symptoms have since steadily subsided.

Professor P seemed too young to be a professor, so presumably he is highly regarded in his field. Certainly I was impressed by his manner as much as by his medical knowledge. He seemed to rapidly build a rapport with me and instill an almost infectious positivity.

"It must be nice to be able to tell a patient they have the all clear," I suggested.

"Cardiology isn't like some other areas of medicine," he replied. "We can fix most things and the worst I have to do is tell someone they need a heart bypass."

"Well I didn't enjoy being on the acute ward."

"Neither did I," he said, smiling.

"So if I feel pressure in my chest again for example when I go for a run, is it safe to push through it?"

"Yes, it might feel strange but it will be fine. There is nothing wrong with your heart and you don't need any more follow ups. You should focus your energy on dealing with the Parkinson's."

I thanked him as I left and once again was filled with admiration for the medical profession. I almost felt sad that I wouldn't be seeing him again.

When I got home later in the day I went out for a 5K run.

As the evening darkness drew in, there was still some tightness in my chest but I pressed on.

And afterwards I felt just fine.

The whole cardiac episode was an unwelcome distraction. As Professor P advised, just having Parkinson's is enough for anyone to deal with.


Popular posts