The in-laws

Saturday 25 November

I last saw my mother-in-law about a year ago.

"I haven't met you before,” she remarked as I walked through the door.

"Yes you have," I offered politely. "I'm Clara's husband."

She looked a little embarrassed but also seemed pleased to realise that her youngest daughter was married, and periodically smiled at me for the remainder of my visit.

Her Alzheimer's was already reasonably far progressed at that time but sadly has moved on to an even more advanced stage since then.

I have been spared the ordeal of watching someone gradually deteriorate both physically and mentally but Clara and her stoic father have tackled it head on. Clara has been nothing short of legendary in the support of her parents – as well as dealing with the emotional side, she has organised everything from carers, hospital beds and hoists to weekly grocery deliveries, roof repairs and plumbing.

Throughout the year, she has faithfully visited them at least fortnightly, sometimes twice in one week, each time an eight-hour round trip to the house where they have lived for the past 30 years.

Until now.

For Clara has arranged for her parents, and their live-in carer, to spend their remaining years in a flat a few doors down the road from us. There are still a lot of logistics to sort out but the aim is to complete the move in time for Christmas.

Clara’s mum and I both suffer from incurable neurodegenerative diseases. Thankfully mine does not (at least not yet) involve any dementia. Once she moves down the road, she will struggle to recognise her own daughter, let alone her son-in-law. For myself, as far as I can tell, I still have all my memories – and marbles – intact. 

After the move happens, Clara’s mum is likely too far gone to even notice the difference, but the hope is that for Clara’s dad the move south will give him a new lease of life. Clara and I should be able to see him regularly and take him to the local park, or a nearby art gallery, or the occasional meal out.

The situation reminds me that more important than myself are those around me. The focus now is on making Clara’s dad’s remaining years as joyful as possible and I am looking forward to being part of that.

Similarly, I am starting to think ahead about how I can avoid my later years becoming all about me; instead I want them to be happy ones for Clara, Rosa and others.




Popular posts