Parkies

Wednesday 21 November 2018

We call ourselves Parkies or PWPs (People with Parkinson's).

And we pop up everywhere.

Since I first went to a coffee morning for local Parkies not long after my diagnosis, I have been gradually getting to know other people with Parkinson’s. I now know several within walking distance of my home in South East London, some of whom I would call friends.

I’ve so far organised three lunches for the locals and there is starting to be a regular crowd.

We are a mixture of ages, from forties to sixties, with some of us still working and others retired. I am the most recently diagnosed and, at the other end of the scale, some have been living with their condition for a decade or more.

There is also an assortment of wives and husbands, evidently very understanding and supportive: despite our disease most of us are very lucky to have other halves who appreciate what we are going through and are there for us when we need support.

I could describe everyone’s background. For example, one person designs film sets and another is a retired accountant. But professions aren’t important; what binds us is our shared experience of living with Parkinson’s. And that is an ineluctable leveller.

To illustrate what I mean, take Gerald, the newest member of our lunch club. I had met him briefly at another Parkinson’s event a few months ago and had discovered he lives close by, so I invited him and his wife along to a lunch last weekend.

If I’m honest, Gerald was hard work. Softly spoken and somewhat distant (because of the you-know-what) I struggled to make conversation with him. I persevered for a while, learning that, now in his early seventies, he had been diagnosed about six years ago. I also found out that he goes to a local choir and various exercise classes; none of which I do because they are all mid-week when I’m at work. But eventually I gave up straining to hear him and turned to others at the table. I caught up with the usual crowd on Deep Brain Stimulation, stories about children, the merits of local restaurants and so on.

Towards the end of the lunch I overheard Gerald mentioning his alma mater. It turned out we went to the same small college (a hundred students in each year – what were the chances?) and from there he suddenly opened up and we had an extraordinary discussion.

Gerald was something of scientist and held court giving his views on everything from Stephen Hawking to the discovery of the Higgs Boson, and Artificial Intelligence, in which he had a PhD. He was formerly an MP in a Commonwealth country. And he was about to publish a book on corruption in politics.

Despite our age difference it seemed like we had a lot in common and I gave him a warm handshake as we left the restaurant. I figured he would be an interesting person to get to know a little better.

Then, the most remarkable fact of all I discovered when I looked him up on the Internet after returning home. He had a long entry on Wikipedia.

Only 4 years ago, whilst already suffering from Parkinson’s, not only was he an MP, he had been Prime Minister of a country of nearly 20 million people, and his wife the “first lady”.

But here’s the thing: none of that matters.

Regardless of who we once were, now we live our lives in the shadow of a disease that is causing our brains to slowly degenerate. We are all on our individual journeys, and we all have to come to terms with the condition in our own ways.

What matters is not what we did or didn’t do in the past but how we deal with the present and the future. What matters is how we conduct our daily lives and interact with those closest to us. What matters is, despite our shared misfortune, are we still decent, civilised people?

So the erstwhile Prime Minister is most welcome to our little lunch club, but no more or less so than the doctor, the IT professional and the stay at home mum.

We are all Parkies now.

Popular posts