Flying first class

Thursday 13 February 2020

Today I am flying Emirates first class from Dubai to London.

It’s awesome. Some say it’s the best first class in the world but I wouldn’t know about that. This is probably the only time in my life I will fly first class on an airline like this.

The experience starts with the chauffeur whisking me smoothly to the airport in his S-class Merc. He drops me off at the separate check-in section without any queues at security, naturally.

I head to the first class lounge, a vast oasis of calm in an otherwise heaving airport, where the staff outnumber the passengers. I elect to have a la carte fine dining: delicious sashimi to start, veal saltimbocca for main, and a fruit and cheese plate to round it off. As expected, the wine is also excellent. I don’t bother with the spa or cigar room, but I do use the sleep area for a while after a glass of 15-year-old Glenfiddich.


Once on board, the beaming stewardess hands me a hefty goodie bag. Bulgari amenities, gourmet snacks galore, pyjamas for the overnight journey, slippers, moleskin notebook and pen.  She offers me a pre-take off drink. I don’t hesitate in my choice: a glass of Dom Perignon 2008 Champagne.

There’s a fresh orchid in my compartment. Enough gadgets for a James Bond movie and more bling than, well, an Emirati 5-star hotel room.  A screen as big as my TV at home, and so the list goes on.

How did I get here?

I’ve done a few business trips to the Middle East and saved up some miles. It turns out that that the Emirates loyalty scheme is not very generous. Surprisingly, BA’s Avios are much better for getting reward flights.

With my working days numbered, and business travel becoming increasingly exhausting, it made sense to use my Emirates points for an upgrade, rather than wait for a reward flight that will likely never come.

So I’m making the most of the absurd luxury while I still can. Things will start changing soon. I will need to cut back further at work, stop the travel, and retire in two or three years with a pension pot that will very much put me at the back of the plane, if indeed I’m on the plane at all.

We will be landing soon. Whilst I enjoy my scrambled eggs and cup of tea, I reflect on the best bit of my journey. 

Taking a morning shower at 41,000 feet. Obviously.




Popular posts