Shall we FaceTime?

Wednesday 1 April 2020

“Shall we FaceTime?” I asked.

Rachel sounded surprised at my suggestion. I continued:

“It will be much better if we can see each other. You might even be able to do some clinical tests.”

After some faffing we managed to connect and we both spontaneously did that most human of things: we gave each other big smiles.

“That’s much better, isn’t it?” I concluded.

I had received a letter informing me that my six-monthly neurology appointment would be by phone because of the coronavirus. It had actually been a year since I had seen Rachel as, on my last visit, I had seen The Professor. Rachel is one of his research team, and seemingly the person looking at my family case.

The conversation was friendly enough but routine. I told her that I felt I could stay on the same medication, with the levodopa tablets giving me the flexibility I need with my Parkinson’s: although I am prescribed three tablets a day, I sometimes take just one or two and, at other times take four or even five depending on the ebb and flow of the condition. Rachel said this was fine, and that I should be guided by how I feel.

There was not much news about my genetic analysis. She said they ideally need DNA samples from more family members to help isolate the faulty gene(s). My mother (who has Parkinson’s) and her brother (who doesn’t have Parkinson’s) have both given samples, but I now need to encourage my sister (two years younger, no signs yet of Parkinson’s) to donate her DNA to medical science as well.

After a convivial half hour, we concluded with some basic clinical tests, primarily some simple finger tapping, which were actually quite effective over the phone camera. I will see her again in September. Perhaps in person, but I suspect by FaceTime again.

It’s surprising how we have all adjusted so quickly to the new normal of living in isolation and communicating via video links.  Like millions of other people, I now have a mini office set up at home and spend a good chunk of my working day talking to other people on a screen.

I’m really very fortunate: I still have a good job, I get to sit in the comfort of my own home all day, eat and drink well, exercise, and I am able take a rest whenever I need it. Clara and I are “staying safe”.

I find myself thinking about the million people across the world who now have a confirmed diagnosis of covid-19. They are also doing most of their communication via a screen and video camera.

Sadly, some of them won’t ever get to see their loved ones in the flesh again.

Popular posts